Thursday, August 18, 2005

'Soon everything seemed dull: another sunrise, the lives of heros, falling in love, war, the discoveries people made about each other. The only thing that didn't bore me, obviously enough, was how much money Tim Price made, and yet in its obviousness it did. There wasn't a clear, identifiable emotion within me, except for greed and, possibly, total disgust. I had all the characteristics of a human being--flesh, blood, skin, hair--but my depersonalization was so intense, had gone so deep, that the normal ability to feel compassion had been eradicated, the victim of a slow, purposeful erasure. I was simply immitating reality, a rough resemblance of a human being, with only a dim corner of my mind functioning. Something horrible was happening and yet I couldn't figure out why--I couldn't put my finger on it.'

- from American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

'Both the author of these notes and the notes themselves are of course fictional. Still, people like this exists in our society, and they have to, as a matter of fact, when one considers what our society has become'.

- from Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

One should always be drunk. That's all that matters;
that's our one imperative need. So as not to feel Time's
horrible burden one which breaks your shoulders and bows

you down, you must get drunk without cease.

But with what?
With wine, poetry, or virtue
as you choose.
But get drunk.

And if, at some time, on steps of a palace,
in the green grass of a ditch,
in the bleak solitude of your room,
you are waking and the drunkenness has already abated,
ask the wind, the wave, the stars, the clock,
all that which flees,
all that which groans,
all that which rolls,
all that which sings,
all that which speaks,
ask them, what time it is;
and the wind, the wave, the stars, the birds, and the clock,
they will all reply:

"It is time to get drunk!

So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or virtue,
as you choose!"


- Get Drunk by Charles-Pierre Baudelaire

rattlesnake shadow cast over the heart
forever I am there barefoot in the dark
they're beating that drum in the cemetery
my death lays awake there whistling dixie yeah
if this is hell well then I'm lucky yeah
my death's alive there just waiting for me uh-huh
my death's alive there just waiting for me
my death lays awake there whistling dixie
if this is hell then i'm lucky
rattlesnake shadow cast across the heart
forever we are there barefoot in the dark
they're beating that drum in the cemetery
my death lays awake there aaah whistling dixie yeah
if this is hell if this is hell then i'm lucky yeah
my death's alive there just waiting for me uh-huh
my death's alive there just waiting for me
my death lays awake there whistling dixie
if this is hell well then I'm lucky
barefoot in the dark


- Barefoot in the Dark by Dax Riggs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home